Are you looking for a quick and easy way to sell your digital products online?
From PDFs to photographs, videos to eBooks, digital products continue to remain popular among online consumers. And the fact that these products can’t be held in people’s hands, but are still highly sought after tells online shop owners that selling digital products online these days is a must.
In this post, we’re going to show you how to sell digital products with PayPal, integrate it with your WordPress website, and generate money like never before.
How to sell digital products (with or without WordPress)
Digital products are not only great in the hands of consumers, they’re really easy to sell, inventory, and distribute when compared to physical in-your-hands products. In fact, that’s one of the reasons online shop owners go the digital route. Not to mention, selling digital products is really cost-effective too.
But remember that Sellfy isn’t just suitable for selling digital products such as ebooks. You can also sell print-on-demand merchandise, physical products, and subscriptions.
Step 1: Sign up for Sellfy
The first thing you’ll want to do is signup for a Sellfy account. Luckily, you can sign up for a 14-day free trial without having to enter a credit card (score!), so getting started is easy.
To sign up, all you have to do is enter your email, password, and a store name. Then, click Create my store.
Once you do this, you’ll be asked to provide a little information about yourself:
- What your field or industry is
- How you plan to sell your products
- What your projected audience size is
One important thing to note is how you plan to sell with Sellfy. Here you will have two options:
- Create a website with Sellfy
- Embed on my website
This is important because everyone is different. Some people already have an existing WordPress website and want to be able to embed their digital shop on that site and sell from there. Others will have nothing but Sellfy to rely on for selling their digital products.
For this example, we’ll start by creating a website with Sellfy. Once you select everything, you’ll be prompted to start your 14-day free trial.
Step 2: Add your first product
The next step in to add your first digital product. You’ll do this by clicking Add product.
When you do, you’ll see several options:
- Digital Product – eBooks, music, video, software, and more.
- Freebie – Teaser versions of your premium products for customers to try.
- Physical Product – T-shirts, books, art, merchandise, and other shippable products.
- Subscription – Online course, workshops, and yearly software licenses.
- Print on Demand – Custom products such as t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, and more.
We’ll pick Digital Product.
Here you’ll upload the digital product, add a product name, and create a product description.
Scroll down a bit more and you’ll be able to add a product preview image, set the price, define its inventory status, and add variants.
Once you’ve customized your product, click Save product.
When you save your product, you’ll see that you can immediately begin sharing it on social media profiles such as Facebook and Twitter. Plus, you’ll be able to grab a ‘Buy Now’ button embed code that can easily be placed anywhere you want – including your WordPress website if you already have one.
Step 3: Customize your Sellfy store
Now that you have a digital product ready to go, it’s time to set up your Sellfy store. One way to do this is to go to the Sellfy dashboard and click on Store Settings.
This section will have many things for you to customize:
- Settings – Customize your shop’s URL, add a custom domain, choose the currency, add a support email, show related items, and let customers see translated versions of your shop. Also define newsletter opt-in and T&C conditions.
- Embed Options – Choose from a Buy Now button, a Product Card, or a Store View embed code that can be added anywhere, including your WordPress website.
- Product Categories – Add categories to make browsing your digital shop easier on customers.
- Purchase Email – Customize the email you send customers once they finalize a purchase in your digital shop.
- Tax Settings – Enable and define tax settings so your customers always get the most accurate pricing.
If you click the Customization link underneath the Store Settings, you can customize the overall look of your Sellfy shop. This is perfect for those that are relying on the Sellfy platform to sell their digital products.
Notice that your digital products will appear on the frontend of your Sellfy shop for everyone to see.
Step 4: Enable payments on your digital shop
The next step is to enable payments on your Sellfy shop by activating the checkout.
When you click on Enable payments, you’ll be brought to the Sellfy payment settings. Here, you’ll have two options:
- Connect with Stripe and offer card payments
- Add your PayPal email (personal or business account)
You can also set up subscription product payment settings too. Just enter the correct information and click Save.
Keep in mind that Sellfy doesn’t process the payments for you. Instead, when someone makes a purchase in your shop, the money goes straight to your Stripe or PayPal account and is processed accordingly.
Step 5: Deliver digital products to customers
The great thing about Sellfy is that delivering digital products to your customers is a cinch and happens instantly once customers pay. Not to mention, you get these other great features too:
- Sell unlimited products
- Enjoy unlimited bandwidth
- Support files up to 10GB per product
Lastly, you can trust that your products are super secure thanks to SSL encryption, download limits, and even PDF stamping.
Step 6: Integrate Sellfy with WordPress
The steps above outline how to create a killer digital shop using the Sellfy platform. However, if you’re the proud owner of a WordPress website and are looking to monetize it by selling digital products, you can do just that with Sellfy.
Integrating Sellfy with WordPress can be done by embedding:
- ‘Buy Now’ Buttons – Add a single button to your website and sell a single product. Add a bunch of ‘Buy Now’ buttons and sell a bunch of products. Customize your buttons and add as many as you want to your website.
- Products – Add a whole product, complete with description and images to your website. It will also come with a ‘Buy Now’ button. Customize the product in Sellfy so it appears on your site the way you want it to.
- Store View – Add your entire Sellfy store to your WordPress website. If you don’t want to do this, you can also connect a custom domain to your Sellfy store too.
Great ways to encourage digital product sales
It’s not enough to set up a digital shop and hope that people buy what you’re offering. Here are some of the best ways to encourage digital sales:
- Create a dedicated sales page on your website using one of these landing page plugins
- Offers sales, discounts, and coupons to loyal customers
- Bundle related products that are a deal for customers that still generate you more money than a single item
- Build a bigger email list using one of these email marketing software tools and services
- Get involved and connected with customers old and new on social media
And there you have it! One of the best and easiest ways to sell digital products using Sellfy.
Whether you want to use the Sellfy platform, or sell digital products with PayPal and WordPress, Sellfy has you covered. It’s user-friendly interface makes building and customizing your digital shop simple.
Plus, with built-in features like unlimited products and bandwidth, download limits and stamping, and the ability to embed your products anywhere your customers are, you’ll be generating more revenue than you ever thought imagined – without a whole lot of effort.
Finally, if you want to learn more, check out our dedicated Sellfy review.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means we may make a small commission if you make a purchase.