Are you looking for the best email marketing alternative to MailChimp? Reckon it’s time to get something more swish and competitively-priced?
You’re in the right place!
In this article, we’ve rounded up the best MailChimp alternatives on the market.
First, we’ll share the reasons why we don’t recommend MailChimp, and then we’ll walk you through some cracking alternatives and their standout features.
Finally, we’ll share some recommendations based on different use cases so that you can choose the best email marketing alternative to MailChimp based on your circumstances.
Let’s get started:
Why we don’t recommend MailChimp
Once upon a time, MailChimp seemed to be the de facto email marketing service to choose, especially if you were just starting and wanted a free option.
But now things aren’t so clear cut:
- Changes to their pricing plans mean that they use contacts instead of subscribers, which means you have to manage unsubscribes yourself. And if you miss any, you could end up paying for them.
- There’s no visual automation like there is with the alternatives on the list below. You could say the MailChimp automation is quite clunky.
- Their free plan is generous. But unfortunately, it’s attracted a lot of spammers, which has an impact on email deliverability for everyone else. As such, our open rates increased after switching from MailChimp.
- Support quality has taken a significant hit in recent years, as MailChimp has become a victim of its own success.
So, if you’d like an email marketing service with the latest bells and whistles at a fraction of the price, and possibly even free, then check out our recommendations below.
The best MailChimp alternatives
Here’s our line-up of the best alternatives to MailChimp.
ActiveCampaign is a popular MailChimp alternative. It includes not only email marketing but also extremely powerful marketing automation and CRM tools to help you create incredible customer experiences.
The main focus of ActiveCampaign is on personalized email marketing. Using the built-in CRM, you can build a picture of each contact. And armed with that info, you can send personalized emails rather than blasting everyone with the same message – and missing the mark.
You can also use the powerful marketing automation to segment your contacts, find your most engaged contacts, or set up email sequences, such as a welcome series, abandoned cart, and automated follow-ups. The options are endless.
- Choose from four types of subscription forms.
- Group your contacts based on any information you have.
- Personalize each email based on what you know about each contact.
- Show different content to different contacts based on certain conditions.
- Make your emails look good on mobile and desktop.
- Run split testing on email headlines, content, CTAs, and automations.
- Integrate with PayPal, Stripe, Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Facebook, and 280+ other apps.
ActiveCampaign has a range of flexible subscription plans based on the number of contacts you have, starting from $9/month (paid yearly).
Bonus: ActiveCampaign also offers one-on-one training, free migration, and a helping hand whenever you need it.
Sendinblue’s strong free plan makes it an ideal MailChimp alternative.
It’s easy to create a professional-looking email from the template library or start your own from scratch with the drag-and-drop builder. You can then personalize the message with dynamic content for each recipient to boost engagement.
Sendinblue also allows unlimited lists and contacts so you can group subscribers based on various criteria, such as gender, geography, and purchase history, for more targeted messaging.
The built-in marketing automation lets you send emails and SMS messages, organize contacts into different lists, and update information in your CRM, based on your rules and triggers.
- Design professional-looking marketing emails from templates or start from scratch.
- Segment and group contacts based on different criteria.
- Deliver personalized and tailored messages at the perfect time.
- Save time by automating and segmenting your messages.
- Boost open rates and clicks with A/B testing.
- Use SMS for your most urgent marketing messages.
- Deliver transactional emails with on-brand designs.
Sendinblue has a range of pricing plans based on the number of emails you send, which is ideal if you don’t send many emails, starting with a free plan.
ConvertKit is ideal for online creators, including bloggers, podcasters, YouTubers, musicians, and photographers. In short, anyone who markets their products or services online.
The features are designed to make email marketing simple, starting with easy-to-embed, customizable opt-in forms and landing pages that let you deliver lead magnets automatically.
The email designer helps you create simple emails that deliver and convert.
Did you know? Simple plain-text emails often perform better than ones filled with graphics, video, and complicated code.
ConvertKit also includes simple but powerful marketing automations so you can send the right message, to the right person, at the right time. You can build automations based on events, actions, and conditions. Plus, you can group and monitor your subscribers based on their interests and interactions via the built-in dashboard.
- Design and build opt-in forms and landing pages.
- Deliver lead magnets automatically.
- Create clutter-free, mobile-responsive emails with clickable CTAs.
- Send timely and targeted content to your subscribers.
- Organize your subscribers with interest-based tags and segments.
- Track conversion rates in the homepage dashboard.
- Integrate with Crowdcast, Teachable, Shopify, Zapier, and loads more apps.
ConvertKit has a couple of pricing plans. The Free plan allows up to 1,000 subscribers, while the Complete plan with additional features starts at $29/month for up to 1,000 subscribers.
Gist is an all-in-one marketing and support toolbox for email marketing, live chat, marketing automation, chatbots, forms, knowledge base, and more.
Gist allows you to send email messages and drip campaigns triggered by behavior or time so you can send an onboarding sequence to new subscribers or upsell existing customers.
You also have the option to email all your subscribers about a new blog post or promotional sale. Plus, you can automatically resend unopened broadcasts with a new subject line.
Gist lets you analyze the performance of your campaigns with key email metrics such as delivery rates, open rates, clicks, and unsubscribes in the built-in dashboard.
What’s more, you can create automation rules with the visual builder using 10 triggers and 11 actions to move leads between campaigns, tag subscribers, and track events.
The Gist marketing suite also includes different signup forms, such as Exit intent, Fullscreen overlays, Welcome mats, Sticky bars, Slide-ins, and Surveys. Plus, the GistBot can pre-qualify leads and automatically book meetings 24/7.
- Segment your contacts based on their behavior.
- Deliver personalized emails to every subscriber using tags.
- Send targeted email campaigns at the perfect moment.
- Use marketing automation to free-up your time.
- Get actionable insights on your email campaigns.
- Integrate with Facebook, Zapier, Stripe, WordPress, and loads more apps.
- Increase conversions with chatbots, forms, and 24/7 automated meeting scheduling.
Gist has a range of pricing plans that let you choose from the Marketing Suite, Support Suite, or the All-in-One Bundle, starting with a free plan for up to 200 contacts.
MailerLite comes with all the latest email marketing features like automation and landing pages, a free plan, and 24/7 support.
You can create fantastic newsletters and ecommerce campaigns with the built-in templates, drag-and-drop editor, rich-text editor or custom HTML editor. And then deliver the right email, to the right person, at the right time with the advanced tagging, behavioral segmentation, and targeting options.
Next, you can optimize your campaigns further with A/B split testing, surveys, and click maps, and then track your performance in the built-in dashboard.
MailerLite’s simple yet effective marketing automation editor allows you to send emails to your subscribers based on various triggers, such as joining a group, completing a form, clicking a link, or abandoning their cart.
- Create mobile-friendly email newsletters and ecommerce campaigns.
- Grow subscribers with embedded signup forms and landing pages.
- Design, create, and embed surveys in emails.
- Create workflows with the super-intuitive automation editor.
- Deliver personalized emails by interest groups, segments, and time zones.
- Test, track, and trace campaigns by open rates and clicks.
- Integrate with Shopify, WooCommerce, WordPress, Zapier, and 90+ other apps.
MailerLite has an affordable range of subscription plans based on the number of subscribers, starting with a free plan and then from $10/month.
GetResponse is another all-in-one platform, but with a slightly different toolset to Gist, including:
- Tools to communicate online: Email marketing, Autoresponders, Marketing automation, Webinars.
- Tools to promote business online: Landing pages, Facebook Ads, Conversion funnel.
- Tools to sell online: Stores and products, Ecommerce integrations, Sales funnel.
GetResponse allows you to send the right type of email, such as one-time broadcasts for newsletters, autoresponders for email sequences, automated trigger emails after purchases or abandoned carts, and highly-targeted segment-specific emails.
No matter what type of email marketing campaign you’re working on, you can design your email with the drag-and-drop editor. And you can rest assured your email will reach its intended destination with GetResponse’s 99% deliverability score.
You can also target and personalize email messages with the contact data you collect at signup or point-of-sale, track key metrics in the dashboard, and improve performance with split-testing.
GetResponse’s visual marketing automation tool takes your email and ecommerce workflows to the next level with conditions, actions, and filters to reach the right people at the most appropriate time.
- Create responsive emails with the easy drag-and-drop builder.
- Send the right type of email at the right time.
- Feel confident in the proven 99% email deliverability rate.
- Target and personalize messages with dynamic content.
- Track and improve email performance with split testing.
- Deliver tailor-made offers to your contacts when they’re most active.
- Integrate with other services and apps like Stripe and Shopify.
GetResponse has a range of subscription plans based on functionality and your list size, starting from $15/month for up to 1,000 subscribers.
Moosend is an all-in-one marketing platform that includes email marketing, personalization, segmentation, automation, tracking, reporting and analytics, plus third-party integrations.
Start-off by creating responsive email newsletters with the modern templates and the easy-to-use, drag-and-drop editor.
You can personalize your emails with subscriber custom fields, product recommendations based on previous transactions, and ‘Amazon-like’ recommendations based on ‘other customers also purchased’ data.
Then move your email marketing up a gear with high-converting automation workflows for user onboarding, abandoned cart, lead scoring, VIP offers, and more. You can also track visitors as they move around your website from browsing to buying.
Moosend also has a brand new and fancy landing page builder and subscription forms tool to generate more leads and subscribers.
- Create amazing newsletters with the drag-and-drop builder.
- Send personalized marketing and transactional email messages.
- Generate leads with the landing page builder and signup forms tool.
- Automate your marketing workflows to free-up time.
- Track user behavior around your website and shopping cart.
- Take action based on built-in campaign analytics and insights.
- Integrate with 100+ apps and services, such as Zapier and WooCommerce.
Moosend has a range of pricing plans based on the number of features and subscribers, starting with a free plan for up to 1,000 subscribers.
Drip is a marketing ecommerce CRM platform that lets you tag and identify every customer action, such as perusing and purchasing, with automated workflows.
Having the full-picture lets you segment your contacts by the pages they’ve clicked, things they’ve bought, and emails they’ve opened so that you can personalize your email messages with dynamic content like product recommendations and unique discount codes.
Did you know? Over 90% of people are more likely to shop with brands that remember and recognize them with custom content.
Drip uses behavior-based, visual workflows so you can automate your email marketing to reach and engage your customers at the best time. You can extend your email marketing to reach customers with complemented ads on Facebook and Instagram.
Once you’ve connected your online store to Drip, you can collect all the revenue and engagement metrics in one dashboard.
Plus, Drip also lets you manage the consolidated data from other integrated marketing tools in one central hub so that you can understand the whole customer journey.
- Tag and identify every customer interaction in the CRM.
- Segment your contacts for dynamic personalization.
- Use behavior-based automated email marketing workflows.
- Track every visit, click, and checkout.
- Analyze all engagement metrics in the dashboards.
- Integrate with your ecommerce store and other marketing apps.
- Centralize the entire customer journey in one hub.
Drip has one pricing plan with all the features, starting from $19/month for 500 contacts and unlimited emails.
Which MailChimp alternative should you choose?
The best email marketing service depends on your exact needs.
ActiveCampaign is our top pick because it offers industry leading email marketing and automation functionality. And higher plans get you access to site tracking, SMS marketing, and automation strategy consulting to ensure you get the most out of the service.
If you don’t send emails too often, a volume based sending email provider such as Sendinblue is a great option. Transactional email sending, SMS marketing, landing pages, and more is available. And a free plan for 300 emails/day.
If you’re a blogger wanting a simple platform, consider ConvertKit. It’s pricey but focused entirely on bloggers and content creators. A free plan is available but it doesn’t include email automation.
What if you run an ecommerce website? Drip is designed purely as an email service for ecommerce and includes a powerful CRM.
GetResponse is a good choice for anyone who wants to run more of their business from a single platform rather than relying on lots of tools – you can build landing pages, sales funnels, sell digital products, run webinars, and more.
And if you want a straight up replacement for MailChimp’s free plan, Mailerlite and Moosend are ideal. Both offer 1,000 free subscribers with a strong feature set and their paid plans are far cheaper than MailChimp.
Email marketing has advanced in leaps and bounds over the last few years. Nowadays, almost any decent service includes visual automations, personalization, segmentation, and third-party integrations to improve your email marketing campaigns. And they’re all priced competitively.
What are you waiting for? Make sure you’re using the best value email marketing service for you.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means we may make a small commission if you make a purchase.